RECOVER. REBUILD. RENEW
What is Cardiovascular Rehabilitation?
Cardiovascular rehabilitation is for people who are recovering from a heart attack, heart surgery, or those at risk for cardiovascular disease.
One of the best things you can do for yourself is to participate in a rehab program. Many skilled professionals are part of the cardiovascular rehabilitation team including nurses, exercise specialists, and a medical director. During your exercises, you may be required to wear a wireless cardiac monitor.
Everything you need to stay healthy is in one place and medical staff is on hand all the time.
You will receive individual attention from our staff while learning and exercising in pleasant surroundings. Participants are organized into classes and usually attend three days per week. Individual learning needs are assessed and met through a combination of group education classes and one-on-one teaching.
The classes also function as support and social groups and participants often form life long friendships while in the program.
Our Rehabilitation Services
The cardiovascular rehabilitation department provides you with quality rehabilitation services including:
- Goal setting with individualized exercise prescription
- Supervised exercise to build fitness and functional capacity
- EKG monitoring during exercise
- Assessment of heart rate, blood pressure, and overall response to exercise
- Screening for risk factors
- Support in making and maintaining lifestyle changes
- Counseling to promote optimal health and well being
- Opportunities to progress to the Adult Fitness Program
Benefits of Cardiovascular Rehabilitation
Cardiovascular Rehabilitation has been proven beneficial to those suffering from the following:
- Recent cardiac surgery
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Heart failure (HF)
- Angina (chest pain)
- PTCA (angioplasty with or without a stent)
- Arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythms)
Multiple cardiac risk factors (i.e. - overweight, smoking, lack of exercise, diabetes, hypertension, or elevated cholesterol)
For more information about cardiovascular rehabilitation at Mackinac Straits Health System or to make an appointment , please call: